TECH TALK WITH MIKE: How to optimize your Google My Business listing | Across Indiana
Originally known as Google Places for Business, Google My Business is an important tool for businesses looking to leverage location-based marketing. This is a free marketing tool from Google that allows business owners to manage their business’s visibility on search engines. GMB is best suited for businesses looking to improve their brand awareness and visibility with local customers.
However, like other digital marketing strategies, getting the most out of Google My Business goes beyond setting up your account and waiting for results. You need to optimize your business listing to allow search engines to show your business in search results. Below is a guide on how to optimize your GMB and its benefits.
Google My Business is part of Google’s Knowledge Graph. This is a service that businesses and individuals can optimize to position their services on the first page of Google search results. The Knowledge Graph displays a variety of information including phone numbers, hours of operation, address, customer reviews, offers/promotions, and photos.
Here are the steps for optimizing Google My Business:
• Create or claim your business — Start by creating or claiming your business listing on Google. Some businesses, especially those that have been in operation for a while, may automatically appear on Google Maps. If your business is not listed, you can easily create a business listing. If it appears, simply claim the business.
• Verify your listing: After you create or claim your business, Google will send you a postcard with step-by-step instructions on how you can verify your business within five days. Be sure to check the list. Otherwise, your performance and visibility on Google will be negatively affected. Without verification, Google will not display the business, allow editing of your business information, or provide information.
• Complete your business profile – As with social media accounts, you need to complete your business profile with accurate information for the listing to rank higher. The main purpose of completing your profile is to provide customers with sufficient information about your ad.
The basics include choosing an accurate business category, writing a clear description, and filling in all the other important fields. Also, don’t forget to include your phone number and area code. Here are some other important tips for optimizing your business profile:
- Adding your opening hours
- Use keywords
- To answer questions
- Respond to reviews
- Endowed with special attributes
- List your products and services
- Add photos and videos to your posts
The primary benefit of optimizing your Google My Business is to improve your business’s local search visibility. Google’s current algorithms take user intent into account as search queries become more and more location-specific.
For example, if you have previously searched for a business near you, Google will often show results for an open business in your current location. Listed businesses have GMB pages and are a bit closer to getting online customers than businesses without GMB listings.
Some of the other benefits of optimizing your Google My Business listing include;
Make it easier for customers to find your business. Customers will no longer be frustrated with old phone numbers and wrong addresses.
This is an additional website citation. Information provided through GMB is displayed in Google Search and Google Maps.
IDEAL FOR LOCAL SEO
Google My Business provides useful information about your business, helps collect reviews, and gives your business better credibility.
You need to ensure that your business has a detailed and up-to-date Google My Business page. If you haven’t, you’re missing out on this simple method to rank higher in Google’s search engine results. As a result, you might be missing out on crucial traffic and potential customers.