Yubico Adds Fingerprint Recognition to YubiKey Hardware Security Appliance
Yubico has added new biometric capabilities to its popular line of hardware security keys known as YubiKeys. The YubiKey Bio supports fingerprint recognition for use in passwordless and two-factor authentication logins.
The hardware incorporates native biometric enrollment and management features that are supported by desktop services and applications and supported by FIDO.
Yubico explains that YubiKey Bio’s three-chip architecture allows biometric fingerprint material to be stored in a separate secure element that provides enhanced protection against physical attacks.
“The YubiKey Bio acts as a single, reliable root of trust, which allows the user to authenticate with the same key across multiple desktop devices, operating systems and applications,” the company says.
In addition, the YubiKey Bio enables biometric login on the desktop with all applications and services supporting FIDO protocols and works immediately with Citrix Workspace, Duo, GitHub, IBM Security Verify, Microsoft Azure Active Directory and Microsoft 365, Okta and Ping identity. With the growing adoption of modern authentication, Yubico continues to work closely with its ecosystem of partners to encourage support for biometric authentication as detailed in the WebAuthn and FIDO2 specifications.
According to Yubico CEO and co-founder Stina Ehrensvärd, the company aims to raise the bar for biometric security keys.
“[We enable] Simple and strong password-less authentication for our corporate customers and daily YubiKey users.
Chris Demundo, Senior Product Manager of Duo Security, said: “Authentication with the combined solution of the Duo platform and the YubiKey has always
was remarkably quick and easy. Biometrics play an important role in any company’s strategy to go without a password, and we have extensively tested the YubiKey Bio with Duo’s next solution, with great results. We’re excited to provide customers with an easier, faster, and more convenient way to protect themselves against phishing and other access threats.
YubiKey Bio features include:
- Fingerprint templates stored in a separate secure item on the YubiKey Bio.
- Support for FIDO2 / WebAuthn and FIDO U2F, based on Yubico’s invention that allows a single authenticator to operate on an unlimited number of applications, with the highest level of security and without sharing any information between services.
- Works on desktop platforms that support WebAuthn such as Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux, and browsers such as Edge and Chrome, as well as other Chromium-based browsers.
- Available as USB-A and USB-C in Yubico’s keychain design.
- Portability, allowing users to switch devices, connect to shared desktops and also support mobile-restricted environments.
- Allows the use of the security key PIN code for scenarios where biometrics cannot be used.
- Supported by the Yubico Authenticator for Desktop app on Windows, macOS, and Linux to enroll new fingerprints, add or remove fingerprints when native platform and browser capabilities are limited.
Yubico Bio is available from retailers now.